ProjectionTools 4.2.0 released
The new minor release ProjectionTools 4.2.0 is available.
Below you can find an overview of the most important innovations.
Now it is possible to calibrate arbitrary screen shapes like mockups and buildings, which include creases and discontinuities.
By providing a 3D model of the surface, ProjectionTools can calculate projector positions, lens-distortion and blending after capturing the usual testpatterns. This results in a correct projection on any complex surface.
The new application MapperPM generates and exports a new type of data.
Furthermore we introduce scanning of unknown 3D surfaces as an experimental feature.
Creator and Align now support coded LEDs which allow to find and identify reference points in the complete camera image. Due to the controllable LEDs, which can be embedded into the screen or other projection surfaces, it is not neccessary anymore to define regions of interest previously.
Initial camera positions can now be calculated faster. The result is successful even if camera or screen are moved significantly between subsequent calibration runs.
Try out the new Demo version of domeprojection.com® ProjectionTools on your own machine! Easy usage: You can use a webcam.
- Explore the possibilities for creating beautiful 2D projections
- Try out 3 tools: Creator, Mapper2D & PatternGenerator
- For testing purposes only: no support for 3rd party solutions (which the full ProjectionTools package supports)
Additional new features and improvements
- Adaptive thresholding and dynamic brightness control
- Triangulate new reference points
- Adjust origin using three reference points
- Creator: Generate 3D / Position Combination:
– new description of default value: “automatic”
– new triangulation only mode added
- New Project wizard changed:
– includes now custom mesh import
– camera settings (including camera database selection) on one wizard page
- Enable ring detection by default
- Colors indicating recognition quality now gradually change from green to red
- Recenter marker ROIs
- Added recent files to menu (all tools)
- Posfinder: allows to center view on reprojected markers
- Unrotated cutting rectangles by default
- Reference Image auto-relative
- User warning, when no source image is selected in preview exporter
- User information, when marker control didn’t work
- Creator, Align and Mapper no more blocked from running parallel
- Improved window layout for small screen resolutions
- Improved GUI update performance
- Basic reference mesh fixing
- Clean reference mesh import/export roundtrip
- Custom mesh support in project wizard
- Add markers manually on imported reference mesh
- Faster camera communication
- Synchronize PatternGenerator to Creator for faster dotpattern capture
- Adding 2 positions with uncalibrated cameras not possible anymore
- Camera database: can now be changed in New Project wizard, camera list updates accordingly
- Fixed: Uninitialized marker settings
- Fixed: Test recognition parameters ignoring global dotpattern
- Fixed: Missing information when loading project with unsufficient channel licenses
- New Unity exporter supporting domeprojection.com® unity plugin
- Domeprojection.com® SDK exporter: multiple gamma settings supported
- MPCDI 2.0 support
- MPCDI dithered Alpha and Beta map export
- Dedicated Pixera Exporter
Extended equipment support
- Universal URL based IP-Power control
- Data import for Disto X3 / X4
- Barco F80-4K support
- Support for new IDS and AVT camera types added
- Webcam support added (uncalibrated single camera only)
The following innovations have already been made available in ProjectionTools 4.1.0.
The upgrade involved ProjectionTools itself, PatternGenerator, ColorMatch, nWarp and the domeprojection.com® SDK.
Automatic detection of cutted dots
In Creator and Align you can choose a new calibration pattern of rings, which allows to automatically detect cutted dots. In this way, the dot-pattern less often needs to be adjusted manually. The detected full dots are stored as a dot pattern for following calibration runs.
Tight integration with several 3D engines
The domeprojection.com® SDK, which supports static and dynamic warping, is adopted by more and more 3D engines. It got updated to support the new coloured blending and black-level correction feature (see above). In addition, Mapper3d received a dedicated domeprojection.com® SDK exporter making the export step much more convenient.
Additional new features and improvements
- Exporting of reference points
- Creator & Align: Only the image all points is projected on screen when simulating a project.
- Points that are not part of the dot pattern aren’t detected anymore during image processing (allows later removing of points by editing the dot pattern and avoids false detections).
- MPCDI exporter: possibility to adjust the level – for better compatibility with systems not supporting the highest level 4
- Dedicated VI-grade VI-GraphSim exporter added
- Preview 3D exporter: quicker previews by selecting reduced blending resolution; choosing custom environment texture
- Transfer to align copies camera settings as well.
- Marker no more disappear when dragging while camera live mode is activated.
- Creating projects with uncalibrated cameras works again.
- Fixed randomly broken frames using AVT GigE cameras.
- Align command line version reports errors as return-value and in console instead of message boxes.
- Barco Pulse exporter regards individual upload checkmarks.
- Fixed slight preview error in Brightness-Adjust Widget.
- Fixed pipeline and modifier stack steps potentially getting shuffled when moving them up/down.
The following features and workflow improvements have already been available in ProjectionTools 4.0.
- Modifier stack in Mapper3d for non-destructive manipulation of calibration data
- Creator: dedicated Reference Points Editor with more flexible marker import
- Align projects: more streamlined setup
- Improvements of visualizations and handling of the Dot Pattern Editor
- Combination of multiple mappings in one project
- Direct control of active markers
- Show projector outlines on projection screen: aligning projectors quickly after exchange
- Black-level chip oversize preview added
- Existing projects: projector resolution change possible
- Default dot pattern: determined by resolution and aspect ratio
- One installer for the complete set of domeprojection.com® ProjectionTools, allowing to select the appropriate configuration according to the owned license (SingleCam AV / Pro AV / Pro Sim)
- Blending and black-level-correction: calculation with floating-point precision
- Advanced based on measurements regarding uniformity and contrast of projectors
- Using smooth black-level correction transitions where possible – better results with overlaps of more than two projectors
- Compensation of projector shadowing
- Improved Posfinder visualisation accuracy
- More precise fadeout control
Extended equipment support
- AVT Mako cameras
- Barco Pulse exporter
- AV Stumpfl Wings exporter
- dataton Watchout exporter
- Coolux Pandoras box exporter supporting non-presplit content
- nWarp exporter